Finding a remote job is about more than just the freedom to work from anywhere. It's about finding a company that understands remote work culture and values your contribution from afar. When looking for a remote job, it's important to consider the following factors:
- Remote-first or remote-friendly? Companies that have a remote-first culture usually have a better framework for managing and supporting remote employees than companies that are simply remote-friendly.
- Communication practices: Good remote companies use effective tools for communication and collaboration and create a communication rhythm that keeps everyone on the same page without overwhelming them.
- Career growth and learning opportunities: The best remote companies encourage continuous learning, provide resources to help you grow in your role, and offer advancement opportunities.
- Benefits and flexibility: Some companies offer location-independent benefits, flexible work hours, and other perks specifically for remote employees.
Now let's take a look at 10 companies our community has praised for their exceptional approach to remote work:
1. Knack: Knack offers an online platform that makes it easy for non-developers to build web-based applications and databases. As a fully remote company, they place a strong emphasis on trust, transparency, and a commitment to customers, alongside promoting a balanced work-life schedule.
2. Pipedream: Pipedream provides a platform for developers to build and run workflows that integrate apps and data. The company's remote-first approach encourages innovation, accountability, and ongoing learning, alongside a focus on clear and effective communication.
3. MessageBird: MessageBird offers a platform for businesses to communicate with customers through a variety of channels. Its remote work culture fosters fast-paced innovation and entrepreneurial spirit within an environment of open communication.
4. Grafana Labs: Specializing in open-source metrics analytics and visualization, Grafana Labs values the benefits of remote work such as increased productivity and a balanced work-life culture. The company champions openness, diversity, and inclusivity.
5. Bejamas: A web development agency specializing in static websites and Jamstack, Bejamas is fully remote, encouraging trust, responsibility, and a dedication to craftsmanship. The company emphasizes the importance of flexibility and individual responsibility.
6. Sketch: Sketch's digital design platform is widely used by UI and UX designers. As a fully remote company, Sketch promotes a flexible work environment, diversity, and a customer-first approach, allowing their team to work from anywhere.
7. 10up: 10up is a digital agency offering web development, design, and content creation services. As a fully remote company, 10up upholds a strong remote culture focusing on teamwork, innovation, and delivering excellence.
8. Terminalfour: Terminalfour provides a digital marketing and web content management platform for higher education. Embracing remote work as part of their operational model, they offer flexibility and opportunities for their global team, with a commitment to customer focus, collaboration, and respect.
9. Fabulous: Fabulous is a self-care and habit tracking app aiming to help users lead healthier lives. As a remote-first company, they prioritize open communication, individual empowerment, and a balanced work-life culture.
10. Ghost: Ghost provides a professional publishing platform for managing online publications. Operating on a remote-first basis, Ghost champions transparency, independence, and inclusivity, allowing their team to work from anywhere.
In your remote job search, it's important to remember that the right company is one that aligns with your needs and values. Each of these companies showcases a commitment to remote work, but they all have unique cultures and offerings. Take the time to research and consider what environment will make you happiest and most productive in your work.
Find more helpful tips about remote jobs and how to apply on our blog.